MRSA Discussion Forum USA and Canada

       Home    1

number of replies (1) - Page 1 of 1
Have I been exposed?
Started by Steph
Posted: May 4, 2010 at 21:24
I live with someone who has an active MRSA infection on his foot. He has used my
tweezers to dig at his infection and walks around barefooted. I was unaware of this when I
used my tweezers. I have an autoimmune disease and have come close to dying from a
similar infection a year ago. Am I at risk now?
16749
Re: Have I been exposed?
Reply #1 by ladyk
Posted: May 5, 2010 at 20:44
Steph -

Yes, you are at risk of contraction.

But… the most accurate answer is - we all are at risk of MRSA contraction. Living with a known to be active MRSA positive increases contraction risk due to simple human error, especially when cross contamination precautions are not exercised. MRSA offers no immunity for any of us (as human host) to this bacteria, meaning one can become infected over and over.

Since you are aware of contraction risk, considering your autoimmune disease (be sure you are up on all lab work and exercise optimal health care) it was a mistake to share personal items, and still would be. Tweezers being possible cross contamination tool - check contact site where tweezers touched your body. Personally I’d cleanse site with Hibiclens *depending on where site is? Hibiclens is not recommended facially due to caution this product carries DO NOT GET INTO EYES & EARS up to and including hearing loss.

In my opinion continued immune support is mandatory given your immune history.

Control bacteria overload in your environment, since MRSA infected house-mate walks around barefooted. *Perhaps he should become educated concerning his affliction because… not only is he jeopardizing others around due to contraction risk, he himself is compromised by being infected with MRSA (a pathogenic contagion), which makes him a target for any number of other aggressive bacteria out there we are bombarded with on a daily basis which are willing to compromise his health even further. Making it every bit worth ‘taking care of oneself’ on either side of the coin!

Bleach clean all appropriate surfaces. Lysol spray touch sites… light switches, door knobs, remote controls, etc. Become conscious of your hands. Wash hands after using the toilet/before preparing food/upon returning home from out in the public arena/look at your hands - cover open cuts prevents pathogens for entry into your system/consider what hands touch in a day and then remember - ‘hands give bacteria the legs they need to infect the multitudes’. Use alcohol based hand sanitizer when you are out and about and cannot wash. This is how multiple medical maladies/ human contagions specifically... are spread about, from viruses to bacteria, etc.

Steph, learn all you can for your health and well being.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
ladyk

16758
   1
Reply to this topic    or     Start New Topic

Your Name:
Reply Subject: Re: Have I been exposed?
Comments:
(You may enter up to 3001 characters)

characters left
Type the characters shown in the image for verification:
Change Image
Write the characters in the image above